Last updated on July 20th, 2016 at 10:23 pm
Find out how to plan the most enjoyable trip to Hai Phong Vietnam with our hand-picked collection of best Hai Phong tours and Hai Phong travel guide including Hai Phong trekking reviews, Hai Phong Vietnam trekking, budget, cheap trek Hai Phong Vietnam, off the beaten path Hai Phong trek, off the beaten track Hai Phong hiking, Hai Phong hiking tours.
Hai Phong Map
Hai Phong located at the mouth of the Red river delta, about 100km from Hanoi. This is the main trading port of the North.
The city shares the same border with Quan Ninh in the north, Hai Duong in the west, and with Thai Binh in the south. Hundreds of years ago, Hai Phong used to be a developed commercial center where the Chinese, Japanese, French, Spanish and Portuguese gathered for trade. Today, Hai Phong remains to be an important commercial center, an industrial city as well as an important transportation hub of Vietnam.
With the flourishing economy plus beautiful natural landscape, Hai Phong is not only an economic center but also a great tourist attraction. Staying at Hai Phong – the seaport city, visitors can enjoy many beauty spots (Cat Ba Island, Monkey Island, Do Son beach, etc.) as well as interesting festivals such as the buffalo fight festival. Besides, Hai Phong has many pagodas, temples, mausoleums and shrines namely Du Hang pagoda, Nghe temple, Hang Kenh communal house, etc.
Hai Phong Attractions
Hang Kenh Communal House
Hang Kenh Communal House (pseudonym was Nhan Tho or Flying Dragon communal house) and located on Nguyen Cong Tru street (under Trung Hanh hamlet, Former Hang Kenh commune). According to stele, this was built in 1717 (Mau Tuat lunar calendar), in Hang Kenh street.
The communal house was built in large scale for many consecutive years (about 15 years). This is a very Ngo Quyen memorial, a nation’s historic hero. The most prominent architecture of ‘Great Communal House’ is in accordance with ‘Chong giuong ke hien’ (Oriental architecture) with six rows of pillars, including 7 purlins with 42 iron-wood pillars with circumference of 2m and height of 5.10m. Carved sculptures of various images and figures indicates an unique wooden sculpt art and this was one of the most typical communal houses of early 18th century time.
Du Hang Pagoda
Du Hang Pagoda is located at 121 Du Hang Street, Du Hang Kenh Ward, Le Chan District, Haiphong. The pagoda was built under the Ly Dynasty. It was later renovated in the 17th century by Nguyen Dinh Sach, an officer of the imperial guard who resigned and became a Buddhist monk. In 1899, during the reign of King Thanh Thai, a monk by the name of Thong Hanh expanded the pagoda and built a bell tower. The existing pagoda resulted from the repair work carried out during that time.
Hai Phong Opera House
Opened in 1912, the beautiful Hai Phong Opera House is one of three historic opera houses in Việt Nam and was the last of the three to undergo restoration. The interior is splendid and is able to seat 400 people while outside the building is more of a modern set up with a big square, a lovely flower garden, water fountains and twinkling lights. Many important events are regularly held here each year.
Bao Ha Village
Bao Ha village ( former Ling Dong village) is located in Dong Minh Commune, Vinh Bao District, Hai Phong City. Visitors to Bao Ha village are amazed by the ancient statues and the local puppet shows and they love to visit workshops that produce puppets or a wide range of statues. Head of Dong Minh commune’s Culture Department, Dao Manh Tuan said “Bao Ha village has been making statues for more than 500 years.
Phu Xa Temple
Phu Xa Temple (located in Dong Hai Ward, Hai An District, Hai Phong City) worships Hung Dao Vuong Tran Quoc Tuan – the famous general of Tran Dynasty who made the great victory defeating Chinese Mongolian aggressors in the thirteenth century. When he died, he was venerated as “Thanh Vuong” (‘King God’). Legend of the locality has it that, Tran Quoc Tuan set up many granaries here to prepare for Bach Dang campaign in 1288. Here also was the place where Tran Quoc Tuan had given a feast to deserving soldiers before mustering troops to Van Kiep base.